The Forum wants you to be well informed of the gathering and use of your personal data through the Website. Please read this Policy carefully prior to entering your personal data and using this Website.
If you have any questions or concerns about our use of your personal data, then please contact us using the linked form provided at the bottom of this Policy.
The World Economic Forum, with registered offices at 91-93 route de la Capite, CH-1223 Cologny/Geneva, Switzerland, processes your personal data as a controller in accordance with applicable legislation with regard to the processing of personal data, namely Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Directive 95/46/EC (hereinafter "GDPR") and any applicable national data protection acts, including the Swiss Federal Act on Data Protection of 19 June 1992 (Status as of 1 January 2014) (together referred to as "Data Protection Law").
The Forum may collect and process the following types of personal data about you:
Participants to the Smart Toy Award who will apply in the “APPLY” section of this Website will be prompted to insert personal data in order to participate in the Competition. Use of personal data entered into the Competition Portal will be governed by XPRIZE’s privacy terms (https://www.xprize.org/privacy-policy).
Information that we collect automatically.
When you visit our Website, we may collect certain information automatically from your device. In some countries, including countries in the European Economic Area, this information may be considered personal data under applicable Data Protection Law.
Specifically, the information we collect automatically may include information like your IP address, device type, unique device identification numbers, browser-type, preferences, broad geographic location (e.g. country or city-level location) and other technical information. We may also collect information about how your device has interacted with our Website, including the pages accessed and links clicked.
The Forum processes your personal data for the following purposes:
- To evaluate your product details against the eligibility criteria of the competition.
- To communicate the selection results of the jury from the initial evaluation round and follow up for the next rounds of the competition. We will use the personal data we collect from you only for the purposes described in this Policy or for purposes that we explain to you at the time we collect your personal data.
However, we may also use your personal data for other purposes that are not incompatible with the purposes we have disclosed to you (such as archiving purposes in the public interest, scientific or historical research purposes, or statistical purposes) in accordance with Data Protection Law.
Otherwise, we will process your personal data in order to carry out our business legitimate interests, where such interests do not override your fundamental rights and liberties. Where required, we will ask you to provide your consent for certain processing activities.
The Forum may share your personal data with the following parties:
The Forum may share your personal data with its Forum Entities (as defined below) in other locations around the world, for example, to answer your questions adequately.
The Forum shares your personal data with third party service providers, in particular X-Prize which is based in the United States and who hosts the platform where you will be applying should you participate in the Smart Toy Award Competition. The Forum will ensure that third parties accessing the personal data of Users shall comply with the same data protection requirements as the Forum and that the personal data will be used exclusively for the purposes set out in this Policy.
The Forum may share your personal data with local authorities to the extent deemed necessary by the Forum for the purposes set forth in this Policy, in particular for security reasons or as required by mandatory laws and regulations.
We will process personal data in accordance with this Policy, as follows:
- Fairness: We will process your personal data fairly. This means that we are transparent about how we process personal data and that we will process it in accordance with Data Protection Law.
- Purpose limitation: We will process your personal data for specified and lawful purposes, and will not process it in a manner that is incompatible with those purposes.
- Proportionality: We will process your personal data in a way that is proportionate to the purposes which the processing is intended to achieve.
- Data accuracy: We take appropriate measures to ensure that personal data that we hold about you is accurate, complete and, where necessary, kept up to date. However, it is also your responsibility to ensure that your personal data is kept as accurate, complete and current as possible by informing the Forum promptly of any changes or errors. You should notify us of any changes to the personal data that we hold about you (e.g. a change of email address).
- Data security: We use appropriate technical and organisational measures to protect the personal data that we collect and process about you. The measures we use are designed to provide a level of security appropriate to the risk of processing your personal data. In particular, any personal data provided to the Forum by Users of this Website is handled with due care and security, and will not be used in ways other than as set forth in this Policy, or in any site/area-specific policies, or in ways that are not compliant with Data Protection Law. Furthermore, the Forum employs a range of technologies and security measures to protect the personal data maintained on Forum systems from loss, misuse, unauthorized access or disclosure, alteration or destruction. Finally, all Forum employees who have access to and are associated with the processing of personal data are obliged to respect the confidentiality of all such personal data.
For further information about the types of cookies and other tracking technology we use on the Website, please read this Cookie notice.
A cookie is a small piece of information that a web server asks the user’s browser to store on the user’s local computer, and then later their browser presents this information to the web server. In its simplest form, a cookie is an identifying number.
We use two types of cookies on the Website: persistent cookies and session cookies. A persistent cookie helps us recognize you as an existing user, so it's easier to return to the Website or interact with our services without signing in again. In the event you sign up to one of our platforms, a persistent cookie stays in your browser and will be read by the service when you return to one of our sites. Session cookies only last as long as the session (usually the current visit to a website or a browser session).
The Forum does not know the identity of a person based on the ID. The cookies used by the Forum do not contain any personal data about you nor are they used to look up your personal data. Even if you have entered personal data about yourself in one of the registration forms, the Forum does not relate that information to the cookie data.
Click here to learn more about the “Private Browsing” setting and managing cookie settings in Firefox;
Click here to learn more about “Incognito” and managing cookie settings in Chrome;
Click here to learn more about “InPrivate” and managing cookie settings in Internet Explorer; or
Click here to learn more about “Private Browsing” and managing cookie settings in Safari.
The Forum operates at a global level and, as a result, your personal data may be transferred to, and processed in, countries other than the country in which you are resident In some cases, these countries may be located outside the European Union (“EU”) or EEA and therefore may have data protection laws that are different from the laws of your country of residence.
Specifically, the personal data that you upload into the Website is stored and processed by the Forum in Switzerland. If applicable, your personal data may be transferred to the United States where it may be processed by the World Economic Forum LLC (USA) and to other countries outside the EU/EEA where the Forum has its offices (“Forum Entities”) are established. The Forum may also share your personal data with third party service providers located outside the EU/EEA who are acting on behalf of the Forum. In such case, we make sure that your personal data is either transferred to third countries outside the EU/EEA that are deemed "adequate" by the European Commission (a list of adequate countries is available on the European Commission's website), or alternatively, where your personal data is not sent to a country that provides adequate protection, we will put in place appropriate safeguards with the entity receiving your personal data (e.g. the EU standard contractual clauses) to ensure that it remains protected while it is being processed outside the EU/EEA in accordance with Data Protection Law.
The Forum takes steps to ensure that the data collected with regards to your sign-up is processed according to the provisions of Data Protection Law wherever the personal data is located. When the Forum transfers personal data from the European Economic Area to other countries, we use a variety of legal mechanisms in accordance with Data protection Law, including contracts, to help ensure your rights and protections travel with your data.
The Forum will retain your personal information for the period necessary to fulfil the purposes outlined in this Policy.
For example, we may retain personal data we obtain from you where we have an ongoing legitimate business need to do so (for example, to provide you with a service you have requested).
You have the following data protection rights:
- You may request access to and obtain a copy of your personal data.
- You may also request that any personal data that is inaccurate or incomplete be rectified or completed.
- You may request that your personal data be erased under certain legal conditions (for example, where the personal data is no longer needed to achieve the purposes for which the information was initially collected).
- In addition, you may object to the processing of your personal data, ask us to restrict processing of your personal data or request portability of your personal data under certain legal conditions.
- You have the right to opt-out of electronic marketing communications we send you at any time and free of charge. You can exercise this right by clicking on the “unsubscribe” or “opt-out” link in the marketing e-mails we send you. To opt-out of other forms of marketing (such as postal marketing or telemarketing), then please contact us using the contact details provided under the “How to contact us” heading below.
- Similarly, if we have collected and process your personal data with your consent, then you can withdraw your consent at any time. Withdrawing your consent will not affect the lawfulness of any processing we conducted prior to your withdrawal, nor will it affect processing of your personal data conducted in reliance on lawful processing grounds other than consent.
- You have the right to complain to a data protection authority about our collection and use of your personal data. For more information, please contact your local data protection authority. Contact details for data protection authorities in the European Economic Area, Switzerland and certain non-European countries (including the US and Canada) are available here.
You may exercise any of the rights above at any time by contacting us as described under the “How to contact us” section below. We will respond to your request in accordance with applicable Data Protection Law.
We may update this Policy from time to time in response to changing legal, technical or business developments. When we update our Policy, we will take appropriate measures to inform you, consistent with the significance of the changes we make. We will obtain your consent to any material Policy changes if and where this is required by applicable Data Protection Laws.
You can see when this Policy was last updated by checking the “last updated” date displayed at the top of this Policy.
If you have any questions or concerns concerning this Policy or the way we process your personal data, or if you wish to exercise your data privacy rights as described above, please contact us by filling out this form: https://wef.ch/MyData.